Wall St. still not feelin’ the love from POTUS
Sliding home prices
Why the S.E.C. is noodling around secondary stake deals
Tech’s big winners & losers from 2010
In the odd years, the most important seats in Washington are typically filled by appointment
Get comfy, travelers—FYI, those handy U-shaped neck pillows can do wonders in a pinch (and on an airport terminal floor)
FT Alphaville is off on holiday. But before we go we wanted to say…
And don’t worry, we’ll be back with our usual service of daily market insight and commentary...
We all know the Bank of England has an inflation problem.
As revealed in Wednesday’s MPC minutes, BoE governor Mervyn King and crew are more worried about inflation than...
Elsewhere on Thursday,
- Default and bankruptcy in the municipal bond market (part two).
- You’re fired! (again, for fraud).
- The self-destructing Merrill Lynch subsidy....
The market has delievered its verdict on Cablegate (Vincegate?) by marking shares in BSkyB higher on Wednesday morning:
That move reflects the fact that Jeremy Hunt, Secretary of State for Culture,...
Elsewhere on Wednesday,
- Monetary base growth ≠ inflation, for the nth time.
- Investing on the ‘low side of bullishness‘.
- Are banks going short volatility...
We’re going to help a friend out here, everyone go ahead and fill out this survey—we’ll also be reporting the results back to you next month
A little late, Harvard: but hopefully the next Gates/Zuckerberg won’t pass you up
App developers are going to have to start thinking about getting into Bill Gates’ client base now
Eleven Blackstone employees have a little something extra to celebrate this holiday season
Texas and Florida get a political boost courtesy of the 2010 Census and NY and Ohio lose points
Was Yukon Cornelius was on to something? Had he employed a buy-and-hold strategy with his part-time mining partner Herbie, he’d be sitting pretty today
Krush loads up on cash
If you’ve got European colleagues, you might want to give them a second option for Christmas dinner—it isn’t very likely they’ll all make it home for the holidays
Who ever said legalese was dull?
The complaint filed by Andrew Cuomo is a ripsnorting romp through the sordid business of Repo 105.
The main allegations against E&Y are well...
It looks as if his recent experience in the housing market has irked Nouriel Roubini (and friends).
Just making the DC Christmas post deadline Tuesday morning is a letter (H/T...
It’s official — Repo 105 will have its day in court (flash from Reuters):
Accounting firm Ernst & Young was sued by New York regulators on Tuesday, accused of...
Anyone for Plan B?
Or just for knuckling down on fiscal cuts?
This is not what the market was expecting from the latest UK public finances data on Tuesday — £22.8bn of...
Elsewhere on Tuesday,
- An Afghan sovereign wealth fund? Really?
- How the Hamp process works , parts one and two.
- And whose mortgage mod is it anyway?
- A handy capital controls chart....
We’re looking to up our game, and need New York-based FT Alphaville readers for focus groups and testing. You’ll get coffee and cookies, plus some monetary incentive, at the FT offices in Midtown....
Here’s a Royal riddle for you.
(H/T the Sunday Times via CityWire):
Sir Keith Mills will this week sue Coutts, the Queen’s banker, for several million pounds, claiming...
Nomura’s banking analyst Glenn Schorr recently caught up with the Goldman boss (plus chief financial officer David Viniar).
And Schorr was able to quiz him on some of the...
Elsewhere on Monday,
- Cinema takes a trip to Wall Street – again.
- Foreclosure’s whistleblower emerges.
- Japan’s employed underclass.
- That enforcement...
Elsewhere on Friday,
- Jargoniest business jargon of the year.
- It’s official, Wells Fargo is biggest US bank by market cap.
- Wall Street starts eating itself.
- Another day,...
Chindia seems to be the theme of the week in Asia.
But apart from spurring a bilateral Sino-Indian deal frenzy, the arrival of Chinese premier Wen Jiabao in India on Wednesday...
Elsewhere on Thursday,
- Debunking the silver myths.
- Time’s person of the year.
- The third annual Meanie Awards.
- Different shades of crony capitalism.
- Here come the sans-culottes....