My morning train reads: • Does Anyone Care About Year-Ahead Outlooks? (Institutional Investor) • Plastic Water Bottles, Which Enabled a Drinks Boom, Now Threaten a Crisis (Wall Street Journal) but see Scientists accidentally create mutant enzyme that eats plastic bottles (The Guardian) • Homelessness Rises More Quickly Where Rent Exceeds a Third of Income (Zillow) • What Happened When… Read More The post 10 Thursday AM Reads appeared first on The Big Picture.
My midweek morning train reads: • PolitiFact’s Lie of the Year: Online smear machine tries to take down Parkland students (Polifact) • Yep, Bitcoin Was a Bubble. And It Popped. (Bloomberg) • A Surprising Push By The Invisible Hand: Why More Companies Are Doing Better By Being Good (Forbes) • Moneyball: was the book that changed baseball built on a false premise?… Read More The post 10 Wednesday AM Reads appeared first on The Big Picture.
My Two-for-Tuesday morning train reads: • ‘I don’t feel like I’m doing something wrong’: Yuppies have discovered pot — and they like it (Washington Post) • How Subscriptions Are Remaking Corporate America (Barron’s) see also Volvo’s New Pitch: ‘Don’t Buy This Car’ try a “subscription” instead (Bloomberg) • How US billionaires are fuelling the hard-right cause in Britain (The Guardian) see… Read More The post 10 Tuesday AM Reads appeared first on The Big Picture.
My back-to-work morning train reads: • Bogle: RIAs Are the Future; Trading Is Investors’ Enemy (ThinkAdvisor) • Lessons From the Bernie Madoff Fraud, 10 Years Later (Barron’s) see also Madoff’s Victims Are Close To Getting Their $19 Billion Back (Bloomberg) • We’re No Longer in the Smartphone Plateau. We’re in the Smartphone Decline. (New York Magazine) • 2018 wasn’t a complete horror… Read More The post 10 Monday AM Reads appeared first on The Big Picture.
- The Housing Boom Is Already Gigantic. How Long Can It Last? - Robert Shiller
- The Art of the Imaginary Deal - Paul Krugman
- Measuring monetary policy shocks - Jim Hamilton
- Can anything hold back China’s economy? - Larry Summers
- The USMCA Is a Downgrade for North America - PIIE
- Have Yield Curve Inversions Become More Likely? - FRB Richmond
- Optimal timing of unemployment benefits: - Microeconomic Insights
- Explaining S=I: Inventories vs Adding up Individuals - Nick Rowe
- The macroeconomic benefits of gender diversity - Lagarde and Ostry
- Just Released: Interactive R-star Charts - Liberty Street Economics
- Helping the left behind: its (economic) geography, stupid - mainly macro
- U.S. Interest Rates in Emerging Market Economies - Capital Ebbs and Flows
- Free Software without a Free Lunch or Free Beer – Digitopoly
- Abenomics Is Working, Don't Stop Now - PIIE
- Working More for Less - MacroMania
- Why inequality matters? - Branko Milanovic
- Continue reading "Links (12/7/18)"