5. Evernote – It just keeps getting better. Simple UI for a complex app. Across all platforms.
4. Carousel – not that the app is mind-blowingly great, but if you keep your photos in Dropbox, it does make life much better. Especially the latest update. Flashback is cool.
3. Headspace - Guided meditation… it’s a paid app after the first 10 days, and it’s one of those things that gets more valuable the longer you use it. 12 months in I value this app *far* more than the first month.
2. Inbox from Google – Still in beta, but there’s no way I’m going back to regular Gmail. Inbox brings a lot of the goodness of Google Now by surfacing what you need vs making you dig for what you need.
Which brings me to my number one App of 2015:
1. Android 5.0 – Lollipop. Yes, technically it’s not an App, but the whole OS works together to make your life better and easier. Google Now continues to be amazing – combined with Inbox and Google Calendar, it’s a major winning combo. And this is coming from a long term member of the Church of Apple. I really like the new UI as well, but that’s form, not function.
Mac OS X, Yosemite - Yeah, this isn’t an App either, but I think it’s definitely the best iteration of OS X since it was first released 14 years ago. Everything has been simplified, and it’s a delight to use. It also works seamlessly with my iPhone.
Uber - because I use it *all* the time.
Shameless Portfolio Promotion:
Peak - Addictive games that help with your memory (and I need a lot of help on that front), along with other cognitive abilities. Featured in Apple’s “Best of 2014″
Yplan- Best way to figure out what’s happening, and get yourself a ticket (maybe even a VIP ticket). Currently available in London, New York, San Francisco and Las Vegas.< p dir="ltr">
Mainframe2 will use the funds to continue building out its core cloud platform and app streaming technology, and to scale its operations and support infrastructure to meet the growing demand while continuing to deliver world-class support to its clients. “Mainframe2 is about freeing developers and businesses from the burdens of managing and distributing Windows software so that they can focus on innovation, not software administration,” said Dr. Bozinovic. “We are thrilled that our investors share our vision for the company and for what Mainframe2 can bring to the marketplace.” About Mainframe2
Mainframe2 is a cloud-based platform that gives developers and businesses a single place to manage their Windows apps — all online, from a single, elegant dashboard. Privately held and headquartered in Menlo Park, Mainframe2 is led by graphics industry veteran and founder Dr. Nikola Bozinovic. For more information, visit www.mainframe2.com
mNectar revolutionizes mobile app discovery by allowing customers to sample apps and games before downloading. Through its proprietary streaming and virtualization technology, mNectar has proven to drive higher ad revenue for publishers and higher quality users for advertisers, compared to interstitials and video advertising. mNectar’s customers include Bash Gaming: a subsidiary of GSN, Big Fish Games, Buffalo Studios, Freshplanet, GREE, King Digital, Mag Interactive, Mobile Deluxe, MobilityWare, Social Gaming Network (SGN), Storm8, Wooga, Zeptolab and Zynga. mNectar is funded by New Enterprise Associates (NEA) and top app developers and is headquartered in San Francisco. For more information, visit www.mnectar.com and follow mNectar on Facebook and Twitter. About NEA
New Enterprise Associates, Inc. (NEA) is a leading venture capital firm focused on helping entrepreneurs build transformational businesses across multiple stages, sectors and geographies. With approximately $13 billion in committed capital, NEA invests in information technology, healthcare and energy technology companies at all stages in a company’s lifecycle, from seed stage through IPO. The firm’s long track record of successful investing includes more than 175 portfolio company IPOs and more than 300 acquisitions. In the U.S., NEA has offices in Menlo Park, CA; Boston, MA; New York, NY; Chicago, IL; and the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. In addition, New Enterprise Associates (India) Pvt. Ltd. has offices in Bangalore and Mumbai, India and New Enterprise Associates (Beijing), Ltd. has offices in Beijing and Shanghai, China. For additional information, visit www.nea.com.
In a mobile world where single-serving apps are replacing vast monolithic services, Jawbone on Thursday poured out a shot of Coffee: its new caffeine-consumption tracking app.
The move to a standalone app that does not require its Up wristband to work is a first for Jawbone, which is raising $250m in new funding. It comes as part of a big push by Jawbone to up its game in software and services, as step-counting gadgets fast become a commodity.Read more